Mundo Verde’s enrollment and lottery process: frequently asked questions - en español aquí
- why is Mundo Verde holding a lottery? In accordance with DC law, all Public Charter Schools must hold a lottery to determine admission when there are more applicants than spaces available.
- who is eligible to participate in the lottery? Only applicants who have submitted an application by the application deadline are eligible to participate in the lottery. The deadline to apply for the 2013-2014 lottery is March 15, 2013. You do not have to be present at the lottery for your child to be considered for enrollment.
- when and where will the lottery take place?
Friday, March 22, 2013Location and time: TBD
- will you accept applications after the deadline? Yes. Mundo Verde will continue to accept applications after the deadline. We will place applications we receive after the deadline on the existing waitlist in the order we receive them.
- do siblings or children of founders get a preference in the lottery? In accordance with DC law, children of the school’s founders and siblings of admitted students get preference. If a student with a sibling is admitted to Mundo Verde, the sibling will be moved to the sibling waitlist or admitted if a space is available, in order of lottery number.
- how will I find out the results of the lottery? We will contact all applicants to advise them of their lottery results and we will also post the lottery results on the website.
- does the waitlist carry over from year to year? No. In accordance with DC law, Mundo Verde may not carry over its waitlist from year to year. Applicants who are not admitted to Mundo Verde this year will need to complete a new application for the next school year.
- my child was admitted during the lottery and I would like to enroll them. What should I do? If your child is offered a space at Mundo Verde, you will be asked to complete Mundo Verde’s online Commitment & Enrollment Form, Authorization for Emergency Medical Treatment, and Home Language Survey and then submit other required documents. Enrollment is only complete when all the registration materials have been received and DC residency confirmed. If you are granted a space at Mundo Verde, please pay close attention to the deadlines for specific forms and documents. Failure to meet those deadlines puts your child’s space at Mundo Verde at risk.
- my child was admitted during the lottery but I have decided to decline the space. do I need to do anything? Please let us know by completing the Decline Form as soon as possible so that another family may be notified of an available space. We prefer that you submit the form, but you may also notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the school at (202) 630-8373.
- my child was not admitted during the lottery and is on the waitlist. what happens next? Please make sure Mundo Verde has accurate and up-to-date contact information for your family. If/when a space becomes available and you are next on the waitlist for that grade, we will contact you to offer you the opportunity to enroll.
additional questions? Please feel free to contact us at (202) 630-8373 or at email@example.com.